The Principal API Architect will play a crucial role in setting the strategy and technical direction applied to our data models capabilities through APIs. Consistency and the thoughtful application of our strategy across the functional areas of our products is an important enabler for innovation. The role will be responsible for working with our product teams and the technical product owners to ensure that the APIs supporting our platform conform to disciplined, best in class API standards enabling innovation to both internal and external customers. A successful candidate for this position must possess both a deep and wide background in API Architecture, Design, Security, and the underlying technologies applied in the space.
Core Responsibilities for this role
- Gaining an understanding of our Current State and Target State Architecture in terms of the application of APIs and then working to define a strategy for our technical direction for our core services APIs
- Develop API based architectures for highly scalable and fault-tolerant applications that adhere to expected standards and discipline from both an operational and security standpoint.
- Provide technical and architectural oversight for systems and projects that are required to be reliable, massively scalable, highly available, and maintainable.
- Introduce best practices and principles to enable consistent delivery and enable alignment with long term direction.
- Lead and mentor other team members.
- Foster development best practices within the team.
- Identify and drive process improvements.
- Facilitate communication with cross-functional groups.
- Work with our product organization to develop secure business requirements, develop the API security architecture, and integrate into our longer-term platform strategy.
- Work with cross-functional technology teams on common API Strategy topics, technologies, and approaches.
- Work directly with development teams to enable successful implementation applying the recommended technologies and techniques, ensuring the API vision materializes through delivery.
- Provide technical expertise and consulting to team engineers as needed.
- Stay up to date on new tools & techniques in the Systems Integration and API space.
- Conduct proof of concept activities with key business users in support of advanced use cases.
What we’re looking for
- 12+ years of work experience with multi-tenant SaaS API development, design, and implementation
- Experience building API Architectures for applications dependent on or with the following technologies: Java, .Net, Golang
- Experience with Integration techniques involving accessing data and business logic hosted in systems such as: SQL Server, Oracle, Big Data Ecosystems (Kafka, Hadoop, S3, etc.)
- Understanding of container-based architectures in terms of their application within an API solution.
- Working experience with Network and Application Security related to protecting APIs.
- Ability to shape API Specifications through driving conversations with Product and Technology Owners.
- Experience with one or more public cloud providers: AWS, Azure, GCP
- Demonstrated having championed and supported impactful DEI efforts in engineering
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $100,000 and $180,000, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a defined bonus, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience. Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in mapthic's equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering based on factors including but not limiting to information contained within this posting. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience. We provide employees with a base salary and equity for the total comp package. Following our Equal Pay Commitment, we have salary banding and established vesting schedules for equity.
We're excited to meet you
At this time, we require that all applicants are eligible to accept employment in the United States